This morning Xander woke up in a VERY grouchy mood, so I knew immediately I was going to have to keep him busy or else I’d be carrying around a grumpy toddler all day. I pinned something a while back on Pinterest that I knew would make a perfect “art project” for us and have intended on doing something similar for Liam’s room. If you want to read her tutorial you can go here, it’s definitely more detailed and she probably does a much better job of explaining all the steps!
So, we cut out the fabric for our art project this morning so I could “draw” the outlines in order to paint after nap time.
I printed out a few outlines of what I wanted to “paint” with Xander. You can totally skip this step and just freehand it, but if you need a pattern to go off of you can just google “____ color sheet” with the blank being whatever you want to trace. I did a nautical wheel, an anchor, a sail boat, a starfish, and a whale.
After I had printed the various color sheets, I mixed 1 cup of flour with 1 cup of warm water until there were no lumps, and then put it in a ziplock bag. (Basically you’re piping the paste like you would ice a cake in this step–but it comes out fast, you could probably slow it down by adding more flour, but it’d also possibly take longer to dry!) I cut a VERY small tip off (seriously, cut even SMALLER than you think you’ll need, it comes out fast and you can always cut again!!) then got to work. I had to work very fast, even with my small tip–I should have put the mixture in a new bag and started over but I was impatient and Xander thought it was the coolest thing ever. And who am I to rain on grouchy pant’s parade? Once I finished I ended up taking the cutting mat that had all the “pictures” on it out to the patio table. You definitely don’t need a cutting mat, but you DO need something underneath when painting, and depending on how watered down you do your paint you probably need something more substantial than newspaper!! (The Florida sun does wonders for drying times, it would have taken drying overnight without it!)
Eventually we finished, and let them dry another hour or so. There were random breezes today so I weighed down each corner of the paintings so that they could dry without creating a mess. (I also suggest doing this if you dry the flour/water mixture outside. I didn’t at first and two paintings got messed up and I had to go back and fix them!)
After they finished drying, I picked all the flour/water mixture off, and the paintings are finished! They’re each 12×12 inches, and I need to figure out how we’re going to frame them. They are going to look AWESOME in Liam’s room though! I’m so excited to share! Let me know if you end up doing something similar!